Friday, December 13, 2019

My Humanities Story

Christenson, Allen J. Popol Vuh: The Sacred Book of the Maya. University of Oklahoma Press, 2003.

    Image result for popol vuh
  • Its a collection of stories from the ancient Maya that shows their beliefs and traditions. 

Holmes, Seth. Fresh Fruit, Broken Bodies: Migrant Farmworkers in the United States. University of California Press, 2013.

  • Seth Holmes goes to work and live with Mexican immigrants to show just how bad the situation is for those people. 
For this class' project we had to make a presentation discussing a theme of our choosing within the book Fresh Fruit, Broken Bodies: Migrant Farmworkers in the United States.The theme my group chose to cover for this project was "social control". We would use some questions that we came up with to find information within each chapter of the book that could help support our theme. Although our project was spread out over a couple of weeks, my group really only took a few hours to complete it. Whilst doing said project, my favorite part would honestly be the amount of freedom that we had to complete it. We could've chosen any theme we wanted and formatted our presentation however we liked.

When I first joined the class, I walked in with an open mind. As I had never taken any sort of humanity course much less a Latin American one, I didn't know what to expect. As for goals for this class, I had 2: to study hard and to try to learn things from this class that could be used outside of this class. Now that the semester has come to an end I can only say that I didn't meet any of my goals. At first I started to work hard but towards the end of the semester I began to slack off which led to me not accomplishing my goals.
Image result for colossal heads
Colossal Head

The most interesting thing I learned about in this class would be the notes about the ancient Aztec and Maya. As for the things I learned in this class, it would be pretty much everything. I never studied about ancient Latin America or the current Latin America. That said, I didn't know much before the class either except for some things like the current treatment of immigrants and the immigration problem, but nothing in depth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment